Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dutch Bulbs in Mexico

Posted by vikingboy2013 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 1:23

I was thinking of taking some Dutch bulbs to my relatives in Mexico City. They live in an area of the city which is closer to the mountains since the city is in a valley. The area has winter temperatures of upper 30s at night and 60s at day and summer only gets up to 85 and 50s at night. Winter gets little rain, spring is hot and dry, summer is rainy and mild and autumn is mild with avg. rain. So their zone is 9b. Could they successfully grow Dutch bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, and crocus? Take in to consideration they'd amend the soil with coarse sand for drainage and protect them from animals with cages and repellents. With care such as fertilization and division could these grow as perennials?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dutch Bulbs in Mexico

I could be wrong: I think the dry winter and spring would be the lid on having perennials from most Narcissus, tulips and hyacinths - unless they were prepared to water. And the jump to 'hot and dry' for spring definitely shortens flowering time and quality.

However: if you were to look for SouthAfrican bulbs from their summer-wet/winter-dry zones you'd probably get the perennial effect you were after, though not in spring.

o

Likely would be an insufficent chill period as well. Bulbs would have to be dug and refrigerated each year in order to achieve a proper dormant chill level. Some narcissus can do without but most other spring flowering "Dutch" bulbs will not.

o

The customs will confiscate the bulbs if they catch you as it's strictly forbidden to introduce flowers, bulbs, seeds or vegetables. I probably live in the same zone and I've been growing daffodils successfully for years. They are the only bulbs that grow well. Surprisingly they withstand several months of heavy rain in the summer and you don't need to lift them if you have good drainage.Hiacynths need refrigeration for 2 to 3 months before planting, the other bulbs don't thrive although tulips will grow well the first season if you manage to smuggle them through customs. But you have to sign a form where you swear you don't carry plant material so it can be unpleasant if they catch you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here