Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Scilla siberica from seed?

northerner_on
12 years ago

This afternoon while 'cleaning up' in the garden I found these obvious seeds and realized that they were where the Squill had been blooming. They are pictured below and are definitely 'green'. I realized that these little

flowers have developed into a nice little clump, but I felt they had just naturalized. Are these seeds viable? How do I treat them so I can plant them elsewhere? When do they need to be planted? I looked for these answers on the Web and could not find them. In fact it seems growing from seed was discouraged!! Your answers would be appreciated. Thank you.

Northerner.

{{gwi:19092}}

Comments (9)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

They look like bulbs to me. Mine have multiplied over the years all by themselves, I am sure by producing small bulbs like yours. Al

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    12 years ago

Not bulbs....seed capsules. Very easy to grow from seed, taking ~3 years to flower. It's their most effective way of increasing.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the id Smivies. My intention is to try to grow some Scilla under my apple tree around a grouping of primulas. I had thought of transplanting some of the bulbs from my present clump, but having stumbled upon the seeds, I wondered if I could go that route instead. But I need to know:
    do these capsules contain seeds?
    do I dry them and save the seeds?
    do I try to remove the seeds right now?
    when do I sow them?
    I found these 'seeds' on the ground, I did not take them from the plants, intimating that they are ripe. But they are green in colour and soft to the touch. Thanks in advance.
    Northerner.
    P.S. I am in Zone 5A, Ontario.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    12 years ago

The seed capsule drops to the ground following the arc of the flower stem as it slowly wilts. The seeds are likely nearly mature but leave them in the capsule until it starts to open on it's own (should only be a few days or week). The seeds, when mature, will be black (they are probably white right now). Sow (sprinkle on the ground) as soon as they are mature.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Smivies: Thank you so much for your detailed instructions. I get a lot of satisfaction from growing things from seed - I guess it's nature's gift to us. The time waiting for these plants to flower are an adventure. I am now collecting seeds daily, they are very genrous re-seedrs. Happy gardening!!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    12 years ago

I have gotten a nice colony by just letting those seed capsules alone to do their thing. But I know you want them in a different area. I would try to make sure they are as ripe as possible, not picking them up while they are green. They are pretty big, so easy enough to spot. I found scilla blooming this year in two areas at least 15 feet away from where any are planted. So somehow, those seeds got around!

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thnks for your post Linnea56. The seed I had were collected from the ground, dropped by the plants themselves, so I figured it did not mattter where they dried - on the ground or in the little container in which I had them. By the time you posted, they had opened up on their own and dropped the seed and I have planted them as advised above. Wish me luck!!

• 9wymna
    7 years ago

When I was collecting my Scilla seed pods, I noticed that some had been nibbled by a critter, a bird or chipmunk maybe. Perhaps this is one method by which they travel?

Also, the pods burst open in the container, but my seeds are brown, not black. I was planning on scattering them in my lawn, but must I wait to see if they turn black?