Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie to tulips, ? regarding foliage

Posted by roseabbey se ontario 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 7:30

My tulips have bloomed and been gone now for a month, I cut back the stem, but not the foliage. The tulip foliage is still quite green although starting to look bronze color on tips. When can I cut back the leaves and how low do I cut? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie to tulips, ? regarding foliage

I would wait until the leaves turn 80% yellow and then clip them off at the soil line.

Keriann~

o

Thank you Keriann. Does this process encourage the bulbs to multiple or just feed the ones that are there? I dont want any more tulips to come up than I have planted.

o

What I do is wait until the connection between the foliage and bulb naturally weakens, then gently tug the whole stem and leaves out of the ground. I prefer this to clipping because clipping leaves several inches of the old stem in the ground to decompose.

Roseabby, if you don't want your tulip bulbs to split, the thing to do is don't water them. But, pretty much all bulbs will naturally split. Small newly-split tulip bulbs do not produce flowers, just foliage. The only way to have the exact same number bloom every year is to dig them up and plant new ones in their place each fall.

o

Thank you sunandshadow. I cant avoid not watering the bulbs as we have a sprinker system that waters the beds. I just didnt want the tulips to overtake my beds, so I am hoping they dont multiply too much!

o

With any bed of bulbs (e.g. tulips, lilies, daffodils, hyacinths, etc.) or rhizomes (e.g. irises) you should expect to dig it up every 3-4 years. Many varieties of tulips are poor perennializers though - it's common to see tulips which bloom for about two years, then the bed only produces foliage because all the bulbs have split, and the new small bulbs won't flower until they get bigger. Many people treat tulip bulbs as an annual, discarding the ones in the ground and replacing them with new-bought bulbs every year, or every 2 years. If you specifically want to plant tulips once and have them survive and keep flowering for years you have to do a bit of research and use one of the varieties which is good at that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here