Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just bought gladiolus bulbs...plant now?

Posted by sandyman720 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 7:31

Hi All,

I just bought a ton of gladiolus bulbs on clearance. Should I plant these now? Wait until the fall?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just bought gladiolus bulbs...plant now?

With a ton of glads, start planting them now. Divide them up and plant some weekly to lengthen the bloom period. It takes about 90 days from planting to bloom, so plan to have them all bloom before the weather cools too much. Al

o
RE: Just bought gladiolus bulbs...plant now?

I just got my first few "clearance gladiolus" about two weeks ago. They are already up and growing (8 of 10 made it).

If it freezes in NJ in the winter, you will probably need to dig them up in the fall for safe over-wintering (not plant them). I would think that planting now is better that trying to store them for almost a full year.

o
Gladiolus sprouting

I've grown glads for years but never at this new property. It took all Summer to get some landscaping done and I wanted to wait until it was completed to plant the glads. We slid in to the Fall season and it was starting to get chilly out so I just decided to plant them a month ago (October; I live in Northern Virginia), figuring they'd just sprout next year. I should also say that I always leave glads in the ground and only dig them up about every 3 years to harvest the 'babies'. Well - these things are sprouting right now (November 4). Any suggestions? Rescue them? Let them go?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here