Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oxalis purpurea wanted

Posted by thefof NSW Aust (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 8:52

Guys
I am hoping that there may be an Aussie looking in who has Oxalis purpurea "Garnet" or one of the other colour forms available that I can buy.
No point in looking at US or European sources as it is virtually impossible to import them into Australia.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oxalis purpurea wanted

Are you allowed to import from NZ? I noticed someone on TradeMe had plants for sale (last year).

Parva Plants also has some Oxalis spp and may be licensed to send them across The Ditch.

You probably already know that they can be an absolute bane in the garden....:-) However, O. purpurea looks gorgeous in the right container, so that's no problem.

Good luck with your hunt.

o

Hi vetivert8
As far as I am aware NZ is classified as "The Rest of the World".
I have the white form in the garden and over the past 10 years, or more, it has spread where I wanted it to but I cannot say it has, in any way, been invasive.
It is a real charmer bringing a flood of white, throughout the winter.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 8:44

Right pretty....too bad not hardy here.

o

Here's a link that might be useful for enquiries:

http://jury.co.nz/tag/oxalis-deppei-iron-cross/

They gleefully share your advocacy for the white version.

I'm more a fan for O. versicolor and massoniana, with hirta running a very close third.

Other possible might be by seed from South Africa.

This website cruelly makes you scroll past the yummy pictures to the bottom for a link to their seed room. Ouch!

http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantnop/oxalispurp.htm

Again - good luck. They're such generous plants with flowers and bulbs - and the well-mannered ones are a joy.

o

Hi vetivert8
I've been doing some research on the ICON database of AQIS. This is their bible of what can and cannot be imported. Unfortunately, purpurea, either as bulbs or seed, is not listed as being permitted from any country. If not listed, by default it is banned, until the importer proves to them that it will not pose a biosecurity risk. This is a VERY long winded and expensive exercise as I found out when trying to get cacti seed imported for my hobby. Even when I pointed out to them that the species I was interested were synonymous with plants on their list, they were not interested. If the name wasn't on their list, tough! To get the name placed on the list required an amendment to a Federal Act of Parliment and that can take years. I even asked the suppliers to rename the seed but they weren't interested in that either. A brick and a hard place situation.
Thanks, though, for the links. Beautiful. I will now just have to look at my O. purpurea alba and imagine them mixed with other colours. :-((

o

Hallensis.
Thanks for your PM but please get back to me as I have no email address for you. I would like to discuss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here