Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodil and Tulip leaves STILL green this long?

Posted by kentstar 5b NE Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 9:13

Daffodil and Tulip leaves STILL green! How long should it take for them to be ready to trim off? They are shading some of my perennials too much. I have daffodil baby boomers and Double Campernelles that just don't want to quit lol. Shouldn't they be long since history for this season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodil and Tulip leaves STILL green this long?

Been a long, cool (downright cold) spring - my daff foliage is still green and upright. One trick is to roll/fold down the foliage or gather it into one bunch and bind it semi-loosely with a twist tie or somesuch. It's out of the way and still feeds the bulbs until it finally browns out and can be cut down.

Tedious if you've got lots of bulbs!

o

I think it's the extra rain we've all had that's keeping them green as well. I've noticed that my daffs that get more water stay greener longer (and multiply faster) than the ones that are in a drier area.

o

Mine are still green too. The tulips have finally yellowed but the daffodils are still lush. Some are finally flopping over, though. Tying is too much work (plus I have too many): I may gather and tuck, though.

I need the garden to dry out so I can plant my annuals!

o

At my folks' place, it isn't uncommon for the leaves to stay green through most of July. That's why I will never plant them at the front of a bed again.

o

Yes, I'm starting to wish I planted where the green leaves wouldn't interfere with other perennials in the bed. Maybe in autumn I can move some, but by then they may have spread anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here