Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This is an odd question

Posted by LullabyF360 8a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 9:35

I am in the process of moving plants. They are mainly bulbs: irises & gladioli along with prickly pear cactus, agave, & hydrangea bushes. Where they are being moved to, I have no other place to put them. The area gets full sun all day. Is there a cheap trick to give shade for plants? I can't plant them anywhere else, & where they are now, they would be concreted under the new driveway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This is an odd question

If this new location is only temporary you can make a frame of the size needed and cover with shade cloth. Al

o

The new location may or may not be temporary. We have considered building a house on our property. If or when the house is built, it will give shade to everything in the afternoon.

o

The only one of the various plants you list that has a need for shade is the hydrangea. All the others will be perfectly happy in all day sun.

o

My es hydrangea is in the most blazing afternoon sun. I moved it there from a place that was quite shady. It sulked for a year and then looked happy again. But now I am fighting off leaf spot that I never had a problem with before. Last year the leaf spot defoliated the whole thing. This year I've been religiously spraying it and haven't seen a sign of it. It's looking very healthy again and happy, but I have to wonder whether the leaf spot is partly a result of its more vulnerable location.

I believe your iris and gladiolus will do better than before in full sun.

This post was edited by sara82lee on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 20:51

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here