Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bulbs I forgot to plant

Posted by bev1065 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 9:44

What should I do with the dutch iris and allium bulbs that did not get planted this past fall? Should I plant them now or wait until fall? I know the dutch iris would have already bloomed and I don't care if the allium bloom this summer or not, just which planting time would be better for the plants themselves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bulbs I forgot to plant

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 18:20

If they're alive, plant them...only if you gave very careful storage will they still be alive.

o

And, if you could plant them in a clear space, well-marked. Even in the veggie garden.

If the Irises survive they might be so busy making daughter bulbs that they don't do much at all, flower-wise. A feed with liquid tomato or potato food could be helpful for them to set buds for next year - providing they show up. Same for the Alliums.

o

Your original post got me thinking about a package of glads I got early last spring and never got in the ground. They looked to be completely dried out, I was on the verge of throwing them out, but I planted them anyway. They are now coming up, all of them.

You never quite know how well they survive, until you put them in the ground. Of course, the longer you delay the less likely you will get anything at all from them, and even if some of them grow, they may not have enough time to mature enough before season end.

I am hoping that my glads are far enough along by the time I have to dig them this fall. If so, they store easy; all you have to do is leave the foliage on and bundle the stalks, hang them frost free and then clean them before planting next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here