Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Flower Farms stretch tulips or do it myself?

Posted by burry 7 Maryland (ctcwash@verizon.net) on
Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 12:34

Hi,

White Flower Farms offers a tulip arrangement that is around $39 or so for 50 tulips. It is supposed to stretch across the season so you get many different tulips over time. I wondered if anyone had tried this before -- or can you recommend a combination of tulips to do this kind of "stretch" by myself?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Flower Farms stretch tulips or do it myself?

Hi burry,

Here is some food for thought. I'm guessing that their tulips are probably not the perennial ones, thus will not bloom very well, if at all the second spring. If that is the case, I would try and pick some perennial ones myself, so they would reliably return and bloom for years to come, even if they don't stretch out the tulip season.

Might some early, midseason, and late daffodils be an option for extending the spring bloom season, along with other spring bulbs?

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Tulip Mixes & Collections at WhiteFlower

o

Some bulb supplier catalogs will list specific bulbs by approximate bloom time - the early, mid and late season choices that Sue referred to above with reference to daffs. McClure and Zimmerman does that very nicely for tulips.....in fact, I like their catalog ALOT just for the information it contains on a very wide variety of bulbs.

This company does not necessarily have the best reputation around (I have never experienced any issues wih them although mail order only very unusual bulbs I can't find locally) but there's no harm in requesting the catalog for informational purposes - you can order from wherever you like :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: MZ bulbs

o

I have not tried it but when I order bulbs I look at bloom time, type, etc. I try to get a variety. I'm in Maryland too. I have had the best luck with the Darwin/Impression tulips but I do order others because I love them. :-) Would love to hear what you decide on. I looked at this mix too but it has 300 bulbs which may be too much. I like to look at collections for ideas. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Month-of-Sumptuous Tulips Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here