Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fayemarie_gw

Please help ID

fayemarie
10 years ago

My SIL had these plants in her yard she wanted rid of - they had been there for 12 years and she usually just mowed over them so she had little info . I dug up a clump and they had huge bulbs . She said they had purple flowers and get about 3' tall . I thought they may be iris but they have leaves that look like daylillies . I have a photo of them prior to digging up and a picture of one of the bulbs after I dug and divided them . I have about 250-350 bulbs here and would kinda like to know what they are before planting them . Anyone have Glory of the Snow ? Could these be that ?

Comments (11)

• fayemarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of the bulb .

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

They could be Camassias. I am amazed that your SIL wants to get rid of them. What on earth could be her objection to these beautiful plants? Anyhow, make the most of her decision.

• fayemarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My SIL bought the house 12 years ago and has since added a swingset , above ground pool / deck and a small patio to a very small yard . These plants take up quite a bit of precious space as they have spread a great deal over the years and she just mows them down anyway . That is why I have no idea what they are . Some people on another board are saying they are "Naked Ladies" but I'm not sure .

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

'Naked Ladies' can refer to various bulbs that bloom without leaves. But I don't know of any that have purple flowers. Can you show your SIL a picture of my suggestion and see what she says?

Here is a link that might be useful: Camassia

• fayemarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My SIL just left for vacation but I did ask her for some more details . She said that the leaves do turn brown and die back and then after that the flowers shoot up . She said she thought the flowers were pink - my niece said purple . So these probably are Naked Ladies . She said they bloom later in the summer so I guess I will just wait and see what comes . I did a raised bed and just planted most of the bulbs in there for a cut flower garden . Thanks again !

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    10 years ago

There are several plants/bulbs that go by the name 'naked ladies' but what you have is most likely Lycoris squamigera. I believe it is the only Lycoris that would be hardy in your zone.

She said they bloom later in the summer so I guess I will just wait and see what comes .
    They sulk at being disturbed and the bulbs are likely smaller due to being mowed off so soon, and due to not being dug and divided when they became overcrowded. They may not bloom for a couple of years....but then they may pleasantly surprise you much sooner.

They are lovely late summer bloomers.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Lycoris squamigera

• fayemarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your right I didn't think about that - they won't bloom till next year probably but the bulbs are huge as you can see from the picture above . That one is just average size - I have many more that are much bigger . I have never seen bulbs this big . The only thin I'm really concerned about is animals getting into them - I think they would make a good meal !

• fayemarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your right I didn't think about that - they won't bloom till next year probably but the bulbs are huge as you can see from the picture above . That one is just average size - I have many more that are much bigger . I have never seen bulbs this big . The only thin I'm really concerned about is animals getting into them - I think they would make a good meal !

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Aha - now you tell about them flowering without leaves and not being purple the Camssia suggestion is a non-runner.

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

One of the purple alliums, there are several: Globemaster, aflatuense and others.

• mamabear
    10 years ago

I Agree Naked Ladies Lycoris squamigera - I call them Surprise Lilies as they do Die Down and Shoot up a Stalk with Light Pink Flowers on them. They do Multiply like that and are hardy in our Zone 5.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional