Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rotting Anemone de Caen corms

Posted by hungryjoe 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 14:45

Hi there,

I planted about 15 anemone de Caen corms out about 2 weeks ago, after soaking them for 24 hours. As some dahlias that I planted around the same time were starting to come up, and my anemones weren't even showing, I decided to dig one up to see if there were any issues.

Much to my dismay, the corm was rotting. I dug around some more and sure enough they were all melting away.

Anyone have anything like this happen before? I was under the impression these were pretty hardy corms; they are even guaranteed. It's been fairly wet here this spring, but none of my other bulbs/corms have had this problem.

Any input is very welcome! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rotting Anemone de Caen corms

The combination of both too cool and too wet, will often rot corms that have no roots. If they are going to rot it will be when first planted, if they have roots developed before the excess water and cold soil are evident they usually will go through it with no problem. Al

o
RE: Rotting Anemone de Caen corms

Al is right.

If you can, don't soak them. Plant them into individual pots using damp mix combined with grit and place them in a warm area to sprout. Unless the mix dries out, don't water, or only lightly water, and keep them well-drained.

Ensure they 'grow up' in good sunlight otherwise they'll be leggy and floppy.

Or plant directly into the ground that you've 'pre-warmed' by using a cloche or grow-tunnel over the area for a few weeks before hand.

Good luck with the next batch (though you might not have enough growing time left before the heat signals 'it's time to go dormant' for them.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here