Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planning ahead for tulips

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 15:08

In the fall I plan on replacing the existing soil next to my garage so that it is more suitable for growing flowers.

This spring I ripped out the remaining shrubs (that the previous homeowners planted) and added some compost into the dry soil. Subsequent to that I transplanted annual seedlings (that I started from seed) into the ground and surrounded them with containered flowers and tomato plants. The annuals that are in the ground aren't growing so well as you can plainly see below.

My plan for the Fall is: remove 6 inches of soil. Replace it with a 50/50 mix of ProMix BX and compost. Add tulips in clumps every 2-3 feet in a staggered fashion. Cover the bulbs, lay down 1/2" hardward cloth to keep the squirrels out then cover with the loose soil, followed by 2 inches of mulch.

Once the tulips die off in the late Spring, I will re-create the landscape pictured below in mid-May.

I welcome any suggestions or alternative ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planning ahead for tulips

Hi, where did you buy tulip bulbs in bulk for less? thanks.

o

Um, I haven't yet.

o

Choose a variety of early blooming tulips such as Single Early or the Fosters if you want the foliage to die off quickly in the spring. If you improve the soil, would you consider putting your tomato and annual plants directly into the ground next summer? I don't think I would put as much as 50% Promix into the garden. I would suggest only 25-30% Promix, and then add your compost and some type of topsoil (bagged or otherwise).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here