Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Polianthes(tuberose) quandry

Posted by john3 6b NC (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 15:09

Folks, I planted two of these, in a pot, on April 21st. Now, over eight weeks later, I figured the time was right to uplift and discover them rotted -- hadn't seen any above ground growth all this time. Well, the tubers seem perfectly fine, but there is no evidence of roots or shoots. This, the single-flowered type, is my first attempt at these fragrant beauties. I've given them average to light watering and full sun. Did replant just below soil level(as seen in literature), as opposed to the instructions of three inches deep. Any advice and/or spells I should cast?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Polianthes(tuberose) quandry

I have been growing these for 20 years and have never seen them rot. They are never really dormant and you will notice the tuber always has a green tip. Mine are in the ground here and have just come up in the last couple of weeks from their winter nap and this is zone 9. They like lots of heat and when they are growing, plenty of water. I do fertilize them regularly once they have foliage and are growing. Al

o

Thanks for your info. Just need to hang in there to see some results. I did shelter the April container during cooler temps, and hoped the 90s temps earlier this month would have started the growth cycle. More perplexing is the dug/examined tubers looked more like callas, and unlike tuberose pictured online. Me oh my!

o

When first planted they look like slender sharp pointed bulbs. After a year they will have a bunch of small bulbs clustered around the original bulb. These small bulbs can be pulled off and planted and they will grow grass like foliage but will not bloom for a year or two. If left in the ground for a few years the base of the bulbs will be welded together in a solid mass about 6 inches in diameter. They are almost impossible to kill but cannot be relied upon to bloom every year. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here