Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall crocuses

Posted by nikhilkumar 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 08 at 15:29

Are there any nurseries that sell Crocus pallasii, Crocus goulimyi or crocus sativa in the US and do these grow in zone 5?

Regards,
Nikhil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall crocuses

I would be surprised if McClure and Zimmerman were not offering them, because they have such an extensive list.

o

I got crocus goulimyi from Brent and Beckys bulbs last year. They are really very nice bulbs. The variegated foliage was a big plus.

o

All of those Crocus species should be hardy in Zone 5, plus Crocus speciosus, Crocus banaticus, Crocus kotschyanus and other species and cultivars. Crocus pallasii may be very difficult to find, as a quick search did not turn up any US vendors. All of the others are fairly common and should be available from multiple vendors. A web search for Fall Crocus will list many of them. Before ordering, sure to check out any selected vendor at GardenWatchDog.

You may also be interested in other fall flowering bulbs that can be hardy in your Zone, such as many of the Colchicum species and cultivars and Lycorus squamigera.
Two others that can be easily grown in pots and moved indoors for the winter are, Sternbergia sp. and Rhodophiala bifida.

o

I would suggest you take a look at Odyssey Bulbs (www.odysseybulbs.com). I don't know which species are hardy in Zone 5, but I do know everything I've gotten from Odyssey has proven hardy to Zone 7.

Be aware that C. sativus seldom blooms a second time unless conditions are just right: lightly fertile, perfectly draining soil in a semi-arid Zone 8 climate. Some years I get lucky and they rebloom, most years I don't. I'm especially partial to C. speciosus and its many varieties, myself. Colchicums, with a general rule of the less expensive the variety within the selection from a reputable supplier like Odyssey Bulbs or Brent and Becky's Bulbs the more vigorous the plant, will also do well for you.

o

Crocus sativus flowers very late here, just about time for frost. There are growers in Lancaster County , PA with large areas planted. They collect the flowers, then sell the saffron. My bulbs flower every year. I planted them on a hot, dry western facing slope. One of the growers I visited had slightly raised very large rectangular beds in full sun. The bulbs are lifted and divided every few years.

If you have rabbits around, they will eat all the foliage unless you spray or cover the plants with wire mesh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here