Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

What died in the back bedroom???

denninmi
11 years ago

"Why, nothing, the stench you are smelling is coming through the window from outdoors. It's nothing more than the patch of Amorphophallus blooming under the open window."

This is what I expect to be asked in a couple of days at the Voodoo Lilies I have planted in my back flower border right under the bedroom window pop into bloom.

Note to other gardeners. Makes a great foliage plant for shade, and the flowers are interesting to look at, but probably NOT a good idea to plant them near the house, especially under a window you keep open in the spring/early summer. Or, you can always choose to sacrifice the flowers and disbud them to avoid the odor of rotten carrion.

Here's a link about them with photo (Not my plants):

A fun but malodorous bulb:

http://www.humanflowerproject.com/index.php/weblog/comments/konyaku_devil_and_angel/

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

My former DH was "gifted" a dragon arum (Dracunculus vulgaris) from a nursery friend of mine. He of course wanted to plant it next to our patio!! Like that would make for some appealingly fragrant BBQ's! LOL! I managed to convince him that the patio was not a suitable location, both for the happiness of the plant and the happiness of any patio visitors and it got located in the woodland garden.

A fascinating flower to be sure, just like the Amorphophallus, but good placement is critical!

Here is a link that might be useful: dragon arum

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I would like to see one of these at somebody else's house but have no desire to have my own. Do you want it because it's just so weird & unusual?

• denninmi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, its a really nice foliage plant, large upright mottled stalks with sort of a ring-like leaf shape, "Horseshoe palmate leaf" if I can make up my own term for it. And, the flowers are interesting to look at.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

The aroids in general are a pretty cool bunch of plants and I already had a collection of arisaemas growing in my woodland garden. Not nearly as large or impressive in flower as the voodoo lilies or dragon arums and typically without the rotting flesh aroma, these are spectacular woodland plants, like our native jack-in-the-pulpit. btw, the reason for the offputting smell is that many of these types of plants are pollinated by flies, which are drawn to the rotting meat scent. Since the aroma fades quite rapidly once the flowers are fully open, it is less of an issue than most folks imagine.

For whatever reason, the larger members of this family - like the Amorphophallus and the Dracunculus - tend to be very appealing to male gardeners :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Araceae

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

I forgot I had one too- but not for long! Looked around for a dead squirrel or bird then followed the SOUND of all the flies. Oh my goodness!

11 years ago

Aroid, like Philodendron, Caladium, Dieffenbachia, Syngonium... uhoh, I need to get out of this discussion before I start looking for one of these stinky things, brethren of my fav plants. The things I learn on here!

• bluebonsai101
    11 years ago

I don't know, I used to have hundreds of these and often had more than a dozen blooming at once and the smell is just not as bad as legend would indicate, but it does make for a fun story! My favorite is actually Dracontium which is the South/Central American cousin of Amorphophallus :o) Dan

• denninmi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know, to me it seems like the odor level varies, maybe based on weather conditions or growing conditions. I agree, they're never up to the level of a mound or rotting garbage, but I've had a few bloom indoors that did a pretty good job of making the house smell like three day old July roadkill.

11 years ago

Sounds like a good common name - roadkill plant.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!