Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I have some advice on these unplanted bulbs?

Posted by gamebird 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 18:49

I was over at my mother's today and I asked her what ever happened to that elephant ear plant she had last year. She said it was still sitting in the garage. So we went out and looked at it. It has some white, pinkish tipped starts poking out, about 2-3 inches long and an inch thick. The opposite end of the bulb is a bit soft and it is overall a little dessicated. I think that had it been planted in spring in this condition, it would have done fine. Now...? It's been in the high 90s and low 100s for the past week.

We also found some cannas in the same condition, which is amusing because the ones she planted rotted in the ground in the rains. So the box that got lost are the only survivors.

What should I do with these things? I can put them in the ground, but what sort of care will they need to get established in the heat? Would it be better to just put them somewhere cool and dry until next year? Will they make it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I have some advice on these unplanted bulbs?

Plant them all, in some shade (afternoon is best) if at all possible. Cannas will grow in standing water and along pond edges, so it is more likely that you mom's rotted from cold ground rather than from too much water. She should probably have waited to plant them until tomato planting time.

Both cannas and elephant ears like plenty of heat, water and high nitrogen fertilizer. Give them these and they should take right off for you. I would give them half strength fertilizer at first since the bulbs are in less than top shape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here