Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving Tulip Bulbs Until Fall

Posted by jt_gardener Central Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 19:46

I bought some red tulip bulbs last fall, but I waited too long to get them into the ground. I thought they were past saving in March as they were rather soft and a few even had a powdery green mold on them. Nevertheless, in an attempt to save them, I brushed off the powdery mold and planted them in pots.

To my great surprise, they came up, but they did not bloom. Now, the green leaves are dead, and I want to know how to save and protect the bulbs until next fall. Do I take them out of the pots, clip off the leaves, put them in a bag and place them in my refrigerator's crisper? If not, what do I do?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving Tulip Bulbs Until Fall

In your climate to plant them again next year you would have to chill them in your refrigerator for at least 6 weeks before planting them in the fall. The best you could expect next spring is only about 1/3 would bloom. Most of us do not think the effort for the reward is enough and buy new bulbs every year. Of course we still have to chill them before planting in the fall/early winter. Al

o
RE: Saving Tulip Bulbs Until Fall

Thanks, Al. I do not especially mind the extra work of it. I was afraid to leave them in the pots much longer, though, as we have horribly hot summers here. I thought the heat might kill the bulbs. They must be hardier than I thought, though, to have survived in the bags in the cupboard from last fall to this spring. I was so surprised that they came up at all given the state they were in just before they went into the pots!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here