Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blood Lily

Posted by ltran54 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 20:00

I bought this little plant at a garage sale 4 years ago on the way to work in full bloom, without knowing it's named or how to care for it. By the time I got off of work, the bloom already cooked (inside the car)because Texas heath was up in 100 degree. I was sad, but kept it in the pot. The year after that I got few more came back with it and since, I gave away 5 bulbs and still have 12. (I planted in 3 spots and got total of 12 blooms this year. The bloom came first and the leaves came after the bloom was gone. That is way sometime people wonder where are the leaves.

Blood Lily
Blood Lily
Bloom lily
Blood lily in full bloom. I got 12 bloom this year. With 3 spots, and this is one spot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blood Lily

Well done! I'm glad you had a great display this year. And the leaves are interesting, too. A special bulb...

(They are also a bit frost tender but do 'come back'.)

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi, Pakistan/ 1 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 2:25

Very nice, here is my Heamanthus multiflorus, I already posted in another thread in this forum, right now it has finished its blooming and has grown a very nice foliage:

23-05-10

23-05-10

Izhar

o

I do love these plants as they are very reliable in pots here in zone 6 as well and produce flowers every year. Izhar, just so you know, this is Scadoxus not Haemanthus. Mine are also in flower now. Lovely pics from both parts of the world :o) Dan

o

Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 0:17

Hi Dan, thanks for correcting me... :) do these plants multiply and produce offsets?

Izhar

o

Izhar, these bulbs are very easy to multiply, but not in pot. (they do better in the ground)
I bought one bulb in 2006 and now total of 17 bulbs in 4 years.
I wish the bloom last longer, because it is so pretty.
Marie

o

Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 7:48

That is a great rate of multiplying... :) i have mine in ground too... hope it does the same as of yours, so i could gift this plant other to gardening mates :)

Izhar

o

Lovely. They bring back my childhood memory.
Thank you for posting those pictures.

o

Last year I digged most of the bulbs up and put them in 3 pots, some still on the ground. They didn't bloom very much. I searched the internet and found out they didn't like to exposed their roots. When you exposed the roots, they don't bloom that year. They are in full bloom right now. Few more still coming.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Awesome! These are one of my favorites. Mine are in bloom too. I got 5 flowers this year. Can't wait for the clumps to increase!

o

Wow, fantastic.

o

A friend from work gave me 2 plants last fall. After they died down I planted them in the front garden. I was amaz ed at how quick they came up. One day the leaves were about 3" tall and in less than a week the blooms were on! I can't wait to see what they do next year...I'll be sure to move them to TN when I leave FL and my daughters would love to have some I'm sure!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here