Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltran54

Blood Lily

Marie Tran
13 years ago

I bought this little plant at a garage sale 4 years ago on the way to work in full bloom, without knowing it's named or how to care for it. By the time I got off of work, the bloom already cooked (inside the car)because Texas heath was up in 100 degree. I was sad, but kept it in the pot. The year after that I got few more came back with it and since, I gave away 5 bulbs and still have 12. (I planted in 3 spots and got total of 12 blooms this year. The bloom came first and the leaves came after the bloom was gone. That is way sometime people wonder where are the leaves.

{{gwi:20542}}

{{gwi:20543}}

{{gwi:20544}}

{{gwi:20545}}

Comments (11)

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

Well done! I'm glad you had a great display this year. And the leaves are interesting, too. A special bulb...

(They are also a bit frost tender but do 'come back'.)

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Very nice, here is my Heamanthus multiflorus, I already posted in another thread in this forum, right now it has finished its blooming and has grown a very nice foliage:

{{gwi:19058}}

{{gwi:19059}}

Izhar

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

I do love these plants as they are very reliable in pots here in zone 6 as well and produce flowers every year. Izhar, just so you know, this is Scadoxus not Haemanthus. Mine are also in flower now. Lovely pics from both parts of the world :o) Dan

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Hi Dan, thanks for correcting me... :) do these plants multiply and produce offsets?

Izhar

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Izhar, these bulbs are very easy to multiply, but not in pot. (they do better in the ground)
    I bought one bulb in 2006 and now total of 17 bulbs in 4 years.
    I wish the bloom last longer, because it is so pretty.
    Marie

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

That is a great rate of multiplying... :) i have mine in ground too... hope it does the same as of yours, so i could gift this plant other to gardening mates :)

Izhar

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

Lovely. They bring back my childhood memory.
    Thank you for posting those pictures.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last year I digged most of the bulbs up and put them in 3 pots, some still on the ground. They didn't bloom very much. I searched the internet and found out they didn't like to exposed their roots. When you exposed the roots, they don't bloom that year. They are in full bloom right now. Few more still coming.

{{gwi:20546}}

{{gwi:20547}}

{{gwi:20548}}

{{gwi:20549}}

{{gwi:20550}}

{{gwi:20551}}

{{gwi:20552}}

{{gwi:20553}}

{{gwi:20555}}

{{gwi:20557}}

{{gwi:20558}}

{{gwi:20559}}

{{gwi:20560}}

{{gwi:20561}}

{{gwi:20562}}

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Awesome! These are one of my favorites. Mine are in bloom too. I got 5 flowers this year. Can't wait for the clumps to increase!

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Wow, fantastic.

• pjives
    10 years ago

A friend from work gave me 2 plants last fall. After they died down I planted them in the front garden. I was amaz ed at how quick they came up. One day the leaves were about 3" tall and in less than a week the blooms were on! I can't wait to see what they do next year...I'll be sure to move them to TN when I leave FL and my daughters would love to have some I'm sure!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH