Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlotte_willner

How to store grape hyacinth bulbs until fall planting?

Charlotte Willner
13 years ago

I keep digging up my darn grape hyacinths when trying to put some hot-weather annuals in. I'm familiar with how to store regular hyacinths - dry them, string them up in a mesh bag in a cool place until planting time - does this method also work for grape hyacinths? Or do they need to be potted up and kept in a cool place? Do I water them? Or do I say "to heck with it" and count on the fact that I'll have a million stray ones coming up next spring no matter many I accidentally eradicate?

Comments (5)

• sunandshadow
    13 years ago

I'd just stick them back in the ground. Those things are tough - last year I planted some in early fall, they immediately sprouted, they kept their leaves all winter under 2 feet of snow, doubled their leaf length in spring, then bloomed beautifully.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

Replanting spring blooming bulbs in the spring can sometimes be disastrous. I don't think it would be a good idea in your zone 10. If they are in an area where you are planting annuals, they would likely be in soil that was kept too wet from watering and the combination of moisture and warm soil could cause them to rot.

I'm familiar with how to store regular hyacinths - dry them, string them up in a mesh bag in a cool place until planting time - does this method also work for grape hyacinths?
    Yes, I'd suggest you store them that way...you can't have too many grape hyacinths, imho anyway.

Sue

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

This is about the only brief spell of dormancy you're going to see with them. They'll be putting out roots by the end of July and they are unfazed by heat, drought, and other summery events. 'They like a good baking.'

Mostly, they're safer in the ground for insulation because they're not well-coated.

If you have a well-drained, not too lushly fed, and sunny spot you could put them there in bulb baskets so you can dig them up in good time.

Or replan your planting so that when it's time for the summer annuals you know where to avoid. Another possible is to interplant them with Echeveria and Sedum. They like similar locations and the succulents give interest over the bulb dormancy. Low-prickle Aloes are also good when they have winter flowering. Interesting combination.

PS it is also a great time to thin down the inevitable clutch of bulblets so you get a decently glorious show of blue next year.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I'd just stick them back in the ground. The problem with grape hyacinths is getting rid of them, not preserving them. they certainly don't need any complicated drying and storing. They are pretty well evergreen over here, as vetivert8 says. They hardly disappear for any time at all.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I'd just stick them back in the ground. The problem with grape hyacinths is getting rid of them, not preserving them. they certainly don't need any complicated drying and storing. They are pretty well evergreen over here, as vetivert8 says. They hardly disappear for any time at all.