Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How soon can or should I dig my Ranunculus bulbs?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 21:36

I've been growing Ranunculus this year for the first time and I've had a bit of success but not great. I'm going to try to get them in the ground earlier next year and see if they perform a little better for me. They are starting to go dormant now that the warm weather is arriving and so I'm wondering how soon I should dig them up to store away until early next spring. I assume that I could dig them soon after the foliage dies back. Is that correct? Is there any advantage to leaving them in the ground longer? I can't leave them all winter because it's a little too cold here. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How soon can or should I dig my Ranunculus bulbs?

allow them to turn brown, then just lift them out and store until you are ready to plant again. I just know off the soil and allow them to dry and "wait" on a cardboard flat of some sort in a closet or corner of the garage. You might use a paper bag after they've dried. They are really small and light therefore easy to forget about if I store them in a small bag...grins.

o

Whenever I've dug my ranunculus they've shriveled away to nothing. But they will rot if left in a bed that receives summer water. I'm going to try storing in a pot with porous soil and watering it every 3 months ~~ anyone had experience with desication and another solution?

o

Thanks for the advice. When I received my ranunculus in the mail they were completely dried out but apparently this is the normal way that they are shipped. I soaked them in water and they swelled up and then grew when I planted them so I guess they can stand quite a lot of dehydration. Perhaps trying to keep them moist during storage would confuse them during their dormancy...?

o

I read somewhere to place them in a wet paper towel then in a plastic bag in the refrigerator till they get roots and then plant. But I am confused now. When are they suppose to be planted ? Summer , Spring ? I am zone 7 and just got mine in the mail and have put them in the fridge.

o

Koozie --- we plant them after danger of frost. Which is almost nil here so that means Jan-Feb.
They are spring bloomers with Iceland poppies & daffodils.

o

I doubt if it is possible to 'over' dry Ranunculus bulbs. I have been able to separate the twisted bulbs when dry as there are usually two or three twisted together that are not actually attached to each other. Soaking before planting is always recommended. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here