Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wood hyacinth companian to cover foliage

Posted by vicsgardening 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 22:09

I have a client who's got huge clumps of wood hyacinths all through her large garden beds. The dying foliage doesn't look like it's gonna wither away any time soon.

My plan is to recommend that I dig them up and replant in smaller more attractive clumps then over plant some of the clumps with annuals to cover the dying foliage. My questions are:

I also want to recommend some overplanting with perennials - does anyone know if wood hyacinths can be interplanted with daylilies (as you would with daffodils, or are they too aggressive and would crowd them out?

If I cut back the foliage before it's completely withered away (still green as of writing!) Will that mean little or no bloom next spring? (I don't have experience with wood hyacinth over a period of years!)

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wood hyacinth companian to cover foliage

Is this a shady garden - or does it enjoy plenty of sun? If it's on the shadier side you'll have a smaller choice of annuals, unfortunately, though some are very useful (Impatiens, for example).

I've found the following are pretty good at masking the Last of the Bluebells - Hosta, Vinca (perennial), Ajuga, Polygonatum, Cyrtomium, Dicentra, Omphalodes, Heuchera and Tiarella, Lamium, Astrantia, Pulmonaria, Liriope, Arisaema, Fragaria and Duchesnea, Epimedium - and a few thugs of equal vigour, which I won't mention.

For a formal effect - probably the Hosta. The others can be a bit 'cottage-y' in effect.

Good luck with thinning the clumps. :-))

o

thanks for the suggestions!

Also how long before the foliage withers

o

Hard to say because of the zone and climate differences. I'd expect them to be withering away by the end of this month.

o

Mine are dying down now. vetivert8, is using the plants I use in my shade area, the sunny area I have Daylilies, coral bells, and Black Berry Lilies.

In one bed I have the coral bells and fairy rose that seems to be doing a good job of covering the foilage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here