Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not a fritillaria. Can anyone ID this for me?

Posted by lilgreenfrog 5a CO (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 22:37

Hello; I had this bulb bloom for me a few weeks ago, and it was a surprise. I didn't buy anything that looks like this, and its my first season with bulbs (planted last fall). I ordered Fritillaria meleagris alba, which this is clearly not. However, I got no Fritillaria blooms, and this came up instead.
The foliage was unremarkable...long thin leaves. Also, this bloomed after everything else was done. The flowers are small, about a half inch across. Don't know if that helps...

Thanks, Lara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not a fritillaria. Can anyone ID this for me?

YIKES!...That looks like it might be Star of Bethlehem,,,aka sob...aka Ornithogalum umbellatum...aka the Flower from Hell

Photobucket

Could it be?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornithogalum umbellatum

o

That's my guess too. Make sure you really love it before setting it free in the garden!

o

Can you tell if the narrow strap like foliage had a faint white line down the center? If so, that's it.

You can read my rant about it on my member page. Most all of the property here is infested with it. I spend about 3 months each spring, digging it out and destroying, until the foliage goes dormant and I can no longer find it to dig out.

Sue

o

Wow, I had no idea that Star of Bethlehem was so hated!

I had to research what it was because I have clumps of it coming up all over my lawn and at the base of trees. I do think it is very cute and harmless in the lawn, but I suppose I will reconsider digging it up and putting it in flowerbeds?

o

I suppose I will reconsider digging it up and putting it in flowerbeds?
I have been digging it out of flower beds for 20 years now, since I initially made several beds without digging out all the bulbs, or changing out the soil down to about 6 inches.

Each spring I spend from late Feb until late May, digging them while the foliage is still visible. I don't intend to make any more beds and then have that stuff coming up like grass each spring in beds.

I would like to till up an area and plant some annuals, but I know that instead of having say 40 clumps of 100 bulbs I will then have 4,000 individual bulbs and bulblets mixed into the soil.

o

And from whom did you order the fritillaria? If they sent you those star of Bethlehells, I hope you never order from them again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here