Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You Have To Look At This Lily!!! Never Seen Nothing Like it!!!

Posted by hydrangeasnohio z5b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 22:42

This Lily is it's third season in the ground. I bought it growing in a pot and bloomed well the first year. Last year it exploded and had many stems, one reaching over 6 foot tall. Now this year it has two larger stems both over 6 foot, along with many smaller ones at their base. But one of the stems is rectangle/square in shape and is loaded with buds! Never seen nothing like it. It blooms yellow and I think it was advertised as a hybrid lily. But blooms a little earlier than Oriental's and smells just like them. Has anyone else ever seen this happen before or grow a similiar lily? The first picture shows both main stems and the one on the right is a normal one.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You Have To Look At This Lily!!! Never Seen Nothing Like it!!

Oh, how interesting! :) Do you think that two grew too close together and merged, or do you think it's a mutant?

o

It is a relatively common phenomenon called 'fasciation' or a fusing of the apical meristem (primary growth point). A number of plants develop this trait in a very stable presentation - 'crested' types of conifers, fantail willow - but it can occur randomly and seemingly spontaneously with various other plants. Lilies happen to be one, but I've seen it with delphiniums, poppies, foxgloves and euphorbias.

No one is absoultely sure of the cause - may be prompted by insect damage or a genetic malfunction - but regardless it is a pretty weird and kinda cool thing to see. btw, your lily will be fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: fasciation

o

Have never seen that happen before...How cool. I hope you can post pics when it blooms too.

Sue

o

What an amazing flower display you are going to get from that wonderful mutant :o) Dan

o

Thank you Gardengal I looked it up!!! Very interesting!!! Good to know that it is ok also. Next year it sounds like it will split and go back to normal. I looked up it's name and it is Futura Hybrid Oriental Lily. But it states it will only get 36-48 inches tall. So I wonder if it was mislabled. Although the picture of the flower looks pretty similiar. So who knows...LOL...

P.S. I will post pictures when it flowers!

o

I visited a botanical garden yesterday with many Oriental Lilies and noticed they had two Lilies doing the same thing just a little shorter than mine. I snaped a pic of it. Couldn't believe I was seeing another Lily doing the same thing!

Photobucket

o

What an interesting thread. I just removed a daylily scape the other day that looked like this, almost like two scapes had fused together down the middle. I don't remember it having an excessive number of blooms though.

o

A bad wind storm broke the stalk when it was about half way open. Here is pics of it inside.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi, Pakistan/ 1 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 1:36

WOW... lovely, thanks sharing..

Izhar

o

That is truly beautiful.
kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here