Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old crocosmia

Posted by fairfield8619 8 N La. (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 23:44

Found this last year in vacant lot- small and not blooming due to lack of care. Now it's large and robust and the flowers are very big and the stalks are well branched. I unfortunetly have Lucifer and this is definitely not it. Much bigger and many more blooms so far. Lucifer spreads like wild fire and hardly blooms for me. Any guess to what its name is? Or maybe a species?
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old crocosmia

This is Crocosmia crocosmiiflora often called Montbretia. It is almost impossible to get it out of the garden,once established. I would never bring it into my garden. Al

o

It can't be any worse than Lucifer and it's much bigger- doesn't seem to spread like Lucifer either. Hope it continues to bloom well.

o

Crocosmia crocosmiflora is not bigger than Lucifer.

o

If the colors in the picture are true, I can say that it looks very like my Star of the East. This is a great crocosmia for the deep south and does not spread invasively.

o

Tall plant and well-branched would indicate Crocosmia paniculata or some hybrid thereof. Not sure of 'Star of the East' - although the right genetics apparently, coloring of that cultivar is more of a true tangerine orange (no gradual fading) and with very large, flat flowers.

I might guess 'Zeal Giant'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here