Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crinums

Posted by Hilaryal PNW 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 23:50

A question on crinums. I was lucky to be given a bucket of crinum bulbs late last fall. Due to family illness, they were left laid out in our shop until I could get them in the ground in early spring. By then most had green shoots 1" - 5" long. I planted them anyway. By now, most have either disappeared completely, or withered to browning leaves, more like a typical fall. We've had a really wet winter/spring here in the NW, but our drainage is not bad and I put them in lots of different areas to increase their chances.
I'm encouraged to read that they're tough, so should I just leave them and hope, or dig one up and see if they've rotted away? Guess I could do that anyway, but would prefer not to disturb if they stand a chance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crinums

I would be very surprised if they did not survive the treatment you describe. Mine have been treated badly and recovered very well. Al

o

I agree with Al. Assuming they are getting plenty of sunshine, once your soil warms thoroughly, chances are good they will reappear. They are very tough, don't mind wet, heavy soil. One thing you could do is give them a good sprinkle of blood meal or a fish emulsion drench. They also love an annual top dressing of composted manure.

o

Al and Donna - thank you both for encouragement. I'll try some extra manure (I plant almost everything with a handful or two of well composted manure and it usually works well), and blood meal or fish emulsion - and keep watching. Although crinums are supposed to prefer warmer zones than ours, several of my neighbors have had success.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here