Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Tulip Pot - Mid-Late? Planting Density?

Posted by maidmarionette 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 23:51

Hello all!

I have been gardening for about three or four years now - and though I admitted defeat after Year One in the Tulip department (to the deer), I want to try again.

I have a HUGE deck, and I thought perhaps a low, wide pot with lots of tulips might be nice. Deer rarely climb stairs (it's happened in our neighbourhood, but not to us yet).

I have a couple of pots I've used in the past to grow 6ft Cannas. They are 2ft high and about 2 and a half ft across.
One currently has miniature irises - but they hardly ever bloom anymore, so I'm thinking I should move them.

Firstly, how densely can I plant tulip bulbs? I can go deeper with taller ones right? So in theory I could have "layers" in the pot. My Botanus catalogue has come, and my LOVES are:

Peter Cottontail mix: Double-Flower Peony-like mix EARLY
Innuendo (hot pink): MID
Apricot Foxx (peach/orange): MID
Parrot Mix: Bright, strong colours LATE

I thought I'd add their mini-botanical mix: EARLY-MID
for a "transition". Now I just need a variety of small, delicate blooms for the MID-LATE transition.

So... Can I do "layers" in the pot? How snugly can I plant them?

Thanks SO much!
As much as I'm loving all the novelty Narcissus and Alliums - I wish I could grow TULIPS!

:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Tulip Pot - Mid-Late? Planting Density?

Yes, in theory you can plant bulbs pretty snugly in a pot, nearly touching and in layers. However, where will your pot be during the winter? If left outside I wonder if it will freeze solid which would be likely to kill the bulbs.

I am also addicted to tulips and our yard is home to many deer. I've been able to battle them off with Liquid Fence sprayed religiously. I still lose some but overall it works out OK most of the time.

Oh and btw we have had deer come up on our deck which is always a sight to see!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here