Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodil bulb question

Posted by topie 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 7, 09 at 4:18

Hello,

We recently had to eradicate a troublesome plant in our garden that was growing in close proximity to some daffodil bulbs. We planted a replacement plant in this spot, but have yet to re-plant the bulbs because they would have been too crowded in their former spot since the new plant is larger than the old plant.

Right now the bulbs are sitting in a cool, dry, dark place. Is it best to re-plant them now? Or wait until the fall? I normally only plant bulbs in the fall, but since these are "previously planted", I'm wondering if it's better just to pop them back in the ground now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodil bulb question

I often accidently dig up daffodils and always replant them right away with no problems. Al

o

It would be best if you were to store them in a cool dry airy place and then replant them in Oct once the soil temps have cooled.

There are those who replant immediately though with good success. Planting them now (too early) one runs the risk of them cooking in hot moist soil before they start to root in.

Sue

o

Thanks for your follow-up posts, especially the tip about avoiding "cooking" them!

The area where we'd want to re-plant the bulbs is in a spot that has some newly-planted perennials that are being watered to help get them established this summer, so the soil is moist. It sounds like in this case it's best to wait to re-plant the bulbs until October.

Thanks again,
-topie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here