Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missmygardens

Which Vendor's Bulbs Performed Best for You?

MissMyGardens
14 years ago

I'm looking over bulb vendor web sites and wondering if anyone was strongly pleased/displeased with performance of one vendor over another.

I realize this year's weather probably wasn't the best for Spring bulb performance in some parts of US but wanted to check with you all before ordering for the Fall.

I still haven't planted out all my seedlings but it's never too early to think about Fall planted bulb orders. :)

Thanks for your input from this year's experience.

Comments (12)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

In the past I have ordered from Buggy Crazy. In fact after seeing your post I went to their site and ended up ordering about all cultivars I didn't already have.

Their bulbs were a very nice size, performed well and shipping was very reasonable. What I especially like about their site is that most daffs are $1 a piece, so one can order in small amounts. A lot of them are priced at 6 for $5 besides being available by the single bulb, or in larger quantities making them less per bulb.

I just ordered 13 different ones...very reasonable imho.

Had best get those orders in now, as there are already a few things that are sold out.

Sue...addicted

Here is a link that might be useful: BuggyCrazy

• Donna
    14 years ago

I personally like Brent and Becky's Bulbs and McClure and Zimmerman. This is a very frequently asked question. If you type it into the search box you'll get lots of opinions.

• leslie197
    14 years ago

I second Brent and Becky's Bulbs. Its a well known and respected bulb company with a good selection. I usually place two orders a year with them.

I also frequently use John Scheepers and have even used their sister company Van Engelen for large quantities of small bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Scheepers

• e36yellowm3
    14 years ago

I ordered from Brent & Becky's and was very pleased. Nice quality stuff, and caught a sale so great prices. In addition, I just loved the little flexible green markers they ID the bulbs with - nice touch. I also ordered from Easy to Grow Bulbs and was happy. The order I got from Bulbs Direct, on the other hand, was a mess and I haven't seen any indication of fixing it either. I've got an order in now to Blooming Bulb which so far looks like nice prices and good service, but time will tell when I get the bulbs this fall ;-) Hope that helps. Alana

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

I purchase bulbs mostly from John Sheepers/Van Engelen, high quality bulbs, excellent service and reasonable prices. Have also ordered bulbs from High Country Gardens and Bloomin Designs Nursery and was pleased with the quality and service. Two orders of bulbs from WFF produced opposite results. Bulbs of Fall-flowering Crocus were very good quality and every one of them bloomed, but their advertised mix of several species, produced only two species and only 3 bulbs of one of those. A second order of Sternbergia lutea was a disappointment. From an order of 25 bulbs, only one produced a bloom the first year and none the second year. Only about half produced foliage last year.

I no longer order from B&B Bulbs. My last order was for a large quantity of spring-flowering bulbs to be used as a fund raiser for my garden club. We agreed upon a ship date in late September (confirmed in writing) and when they didn't arrive on time, a call to them revealed that they had arbitrarily rescheduled shipment for late November, the recommended planting date for my Zone, they said. At my insistence, they agreed to ship the order "as soon as possible", but they still arrived too late for the sale.
    I also detest having a charge placed on my CC the moment I place an order. They claim that is to "reserve" your bulbs.
    How can one "reserve" bulbs that they don't have and won't receive for months!
    MO

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

I have been getting spring bulbs exclusively for the past 5 years from

Van Engelen. Love their quality and price.

DonÂt get Lily from them, though, if you are particular about the variety, because sometimes they send the wrong ones.

I get Lily from The Lily Garden.
    All their lilies are guaranteed free of virus. The choices are huge. The bulbs are a bit pricey, but worth it.
    I was a faithful customer of Brent & BeckyÂs for many, many years. But one year the lilies from them had virus. It decimated my entire extensive lily collection. B&B never responded to my report of virus, which was a crying shame, because their customer service was top notch. I have not ordered anything from them since.

I tried Buggy Crazy, but I donÂt really understand the process. I may try it again sometimes.

These are bulbs from Ven Engelen:
    {{gwi:21165}}
    {{gwi:12735}}
    {{gwi:5113}}
    {{gwi:21166}}
    {{gwi:21167}}
    {{gwi:9611}}

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

Beautiful Pictures of all your bulbs. I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement. I too have to say I've had trouble with B&B. I was quoted a wrong price and then re-billed without my consent ( a little surprise when I opened up my credit card bill). And to top it off some of the bulbs they sent me were the wrong variety. I called but was unimpressed by their response. Basically it was "we are sorry, but you still pay the shipping for OUR mistake". Since alot of the bulbs come from the same sources overseas I try and buy from the growers that say they grow and harvest their own (thus ensuring some control of the virus problem). That would be B&D lilies for one. I also grew over 3 dozen Glads from Noweta Glads,and was very pleased with them. They have a full color catalog to boot. Too late for Glads now, but something to think about next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gladiolus -Noweta Gardens

• luvahydrangea
    14 years ago

Fall '08 was my first year ordering/planting bulbs. I got tulips, alliums, and muscari all from Colorblends. The bulbs were huge and healthy and everything bloomed beautifully. The prices seem competitive with Van Engelen, which I'm going to try this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorblends

• rredbbeard
    10 years ago

I just ordered oxalis versicolor from Brent and Becky's, then read negative comments regarding viability of these bulbs in specific from this vendor. Has anyone had experience ordering versicolor from them? Should I be concerned?

Comments? Thanks!

--Rick in CT

• flowergirl70ks
    10 years ago

I'm sure nobody wants to hear this, but Walmarts and Menards. I try to get there when they unpack them.

• senjanevada
    10 years ago

I bought Gladiolus and Amaryllis bulbs at Lowes while clearance, 75% off, I only paid $1.25-$1.50 for a pack of 10-12 bulbs gladiolus, and 1 bulb/pack for Amaryllis.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    10 years ago

Buggy Crazy has closed.
    Susan

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz