Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED - Any bulbs that will grow in Florida

Posted by janet-g 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 6:38

I'm especially looking for Grape Hyacinth. But I would love to try any of the nostalgic northern springtime bulbs that I loved. I have some Easter Lilies and Rain Lilies to offer.
Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED - Any bulbs that will grow in Florida

I have a few mixed Anemone de Caen corms if you are interested. I would like to trade with your rain lilies.

o

I have some crocosmia corms if you are interested. Id love a couple of easter lillies :)

o

If you take the bulbs such as tulips, crocus, daffs, hyacinth (which need a period of cold) and put the in the fridge for a couple weeks then plant them out they will grow like in the north. It's what Disney does.

o

I have some grape hyacinth that I'd be interested in trading. I got them as a freebie with another order, and would prefer to trade for something else. I'd be interested in either the rain lilies or the Easter lilies. Looks like you don't have email turned on, but if you click on my name you can send me an email if you are still interested

o

If its wanted to grow in particular zones, then it falls to the plant, or bulb, to be able to survive in that zone.
The old adage applies: you can take the girl out of the country, but you cant take the country out of the girl.
Northern bulbs do well in the north because they're bred to survive the winter and the coolness of autumn which they use to make roots. True bulbs without roots are just fodder for vermin.
Southern grown bulbs are pre-cooled---by the dealer or the grower and are offered at their optimum time.
Bulbs require a time to be in cool soil and make roots.
Southern grown bulbs, given a necessary time of coolness must still complete the required time to create roots, usually up to 15 weeks. If the dealer cools them for 8 weeks, then 7 weeks (as per the type of bulb) is still needed by the purchaser.
There are specialty bulbs that do not need this length of cooler period, and these are available at southern nurseries. Best to phone the nursery and ask about them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here