Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can tulips/daffodils be successfully planted in July zone 5?

Posted by vm_boston none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 7:22

We recently extended our patio and now have a new huge bed to fill. I am eager to plant but I also want to flood it with tulips and daffodils for spring color. Ideally, I would plant both my perennials and bulbs now so as not to disrupt any new plants by waiting until fall to plant the bulbs. So, my question is: can bulbs be successfully planted in July in zone 5 (Boston)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can tulips/daffodils be successfully planted in July zone 5?

My question would be can you even find the bulbs for sale now? I really don't think planting your bulbs will bother your perennials. They won't have spread much in the next couple of months and the bulbs will be put in spaces between them I imagine. Bulbs look far better in clumps than individually so you could leave gaps for them if you are concerned. Plant with a narrow trowel (you can buy a bulb trowel) and I'm sure your perennials will be fine. I garden between mine all the time. I just thought of something else ... the watering needed by perennials planted in July would not agree with the bulbs. In the Autumn the watering will have reduced.

o
RE: can tulips/daffodils be successfully planted in July zone 5?

If you live in Boston, now is NOT the time to plant those bulbs. They have to make roots in fall and then be subjected to a winter's cold dormancy period.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here