Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suecirish

I'm taking a Poll - your opinion please!

suecirish
14 years ago

Both sides of my front walk are lined with spring bulbs, mostly Hyacinth and Daffodils. Over the past few years I have just casually added new varieties together in clusters. I'm not much into planning for bloom time, color coordination, etc. If I like 'em, I buy 'em, I plant 'em. After they died down, I plant annuals over them, so that's not an issue.

This fall I really need to dig and redistribute the bulbs. The clusters have become a bit lopsided and the bloom-time does need to be a bit better coordinated so I don't have bare spots some places and a sea of blooms in another at the same time. I have photos so I know pretty much where each variety cluster is located. I have already ordered 4 new Daffs for fall delivery, and I need to start thinking about this.

So, I want the opinions of others. I'm undecided whether to

1 - leave the varieties together in clusters, but just rearrange the clusters in a better way,

OR

2 - mix all the bulbs together and just replant so that all the varieties will be mixed together.

What do you think? and why?

Comments (7)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

#1 for sure.

Because
    A-I love seeing several bulbs planted together that they look like a blooming bouquet.
    B-If doing a mass planting, it is best to use just one cultivar, I am told for the best impact.
    C-As a (fairly serious now) Daff collector, I don't mix daffs, and for sure want to keep the name with any new ones I buy.

I'm curious about what you have ordered and in what quantity...and if you might want to swap a few of them for some of my named ones....providing I don't already have what you have ordered, or you don't already have what I have to offer. I don't have my named tradable ones listed on my list..as they are not dug yet, and I pretty well only trade them for other named daffs. (just call me a daff snob...lol)

LMK if you think we might be able to work a trade here sometime before bulb planting time.

Sue...chemocurl

• jeannettemae77
    14 years ago

I would do a mix of 1 & 2 if it were me. I would do them in straight lines of one, the shortest being in front with each variety in line behind, all sorted by height so you can see them all and they can all compliment each other. I am a novice gardener so keep that in mind while you read my thoughts on this :) I have learned a lot about what *not* to do layout wise this season LOL. I do find that when I am looking at gardens however, I tend to lean towards the more geometrical layouts instead of having things wildly laid out.

• suecirish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you both for your opinion. I am leaning more toward #1 myself, but maybe symmetrical plantings - half and half facing off across the walk.

Sue, I'm sure I don't have anything very special that you don't already have, but I'd be happy to trade a couple bulbs if you see something here on my list that you'd like. My collection is of relatively new standing. I also have some ordered from the Yahoo Group coop which I think you belong to as well. I do love all the ones I have, and I select them primarily according to my first emotional impression when I see the photo rather than any logical, calculated choice.

So here's what I have so far:
    'Carlton'
    'Flower Record'
    'Ice Follies'
    (Double) 'Ice King'
    'Orangery'
    'Red Devon'
    'Rosy Cloud'
    (Large Cup) 'Salome'
    (Double) 'Tahiti'
    (mini) 'Tete-a-Tete'
    (Triandus) 'Thalia'
    'Trepolo'

14 years ago

Yes Sue, I do belong to the Yahoo Coop, and sadly was a bit late in getting my daffs ordered since it was closed out early. Thank goodness though I am getting Precocious, and a few other varieties as a nice member shared some of his order with me.

I don't have Trepolo or Rosy Cloud from your list. Now to find something to trade that gives you a good first emotional impression.

I feel certain I will have Tripartite for trade...but don't feel comfortable to committing until they are dug.

{{gwi:10746}}

What's your impression? It is very late for me and has numerous blooms per stem.

I also have historic that I just got the name on this year at a show. It is Orange Phoenix pictured below.
    {{gwi:15006}}
    Your first impression? It is fragrant.

Maybe Fragrant Rose, which really does smell like a rose.
    {{gwi:10764}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Precocious-that really speaks to me!

• suecirish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, yes! I really do like the Orange Phoenix and Fragrant Rose and I think they'd look quite nice with my others. I'd be happy to trade and I think I could send maybe 4 or 5 of each. I'd have to see how many are there before I could commit to more. When is the best time to dig them? I was guessing late September.

That Precocious is really beautiful.
    From the coop I ordered St Patrick's Day, Pappy George and Rainbow to go in my Irish Heritage garden. I also ordered Pipit, hoping that it is the one I saw in Ireland (refer to a previous post from a few weeks ago), and Cheerfulness and Flowerdrift. I could have ordered many many more, but I try to limit myself to a few at a time so I can enjoy them individually without being overwhelmed.

Trepolo
    {{gwi:21220}}From 2009Garden

Rosy Cloud
    {{gwi:21221}}From 2009Garden

Here is a link that might be useful: post re: Daffodil in Ireland

14 years ago

Great! 4 or 5 of each is fine, and I understand not wanting to commit to more.

When is the best time to dig them? I was guessing late September.
    Actually the best time for our zones is about now....or even some earlier. If one waits too late, the bulbs will have started to root in and grow for the next season.

After they are dug, if the sun is not too blazing hot, they can be put in the sun for say 3-4 hours which will start the curing, hardening,drying process. After that they should be stored in a cool (if possible) dry airy place. I have some curing in mesh bags on top of a frig on the carport.

Then we could do the actual trading/mailing sometime in Sept or early Oct.

Sound ok with you? Once we both dig, we can adjust quantities available for trading. Just so you know, the Orange Phoenix will be smaller bulbs and may not bloom their first season. I'd be happy to send 2 for 1 or 3 for one of those,,,if you are still interested in them.

Below is a link to the 2 year saga of finding the name for Orange Phoenix. Please help name this old daff

Sue

• suecirish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That sounds great, Sue. I just got back from a long weekend of visiting kids and grandkids. I think I will try doing some digging of those bulbs this coming weekend. I have several photos for maps of where things are, so hopefully I can get it right!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor