Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
digging daff and tulip bulbs now

Posted by pippi21 Z7 Silver Spring, Md (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 7:44

I plan to revamp two of my flowerbeds in September when the weather is a lot cooler than these 97 degree days we've been having for last few weeks. I want to decreased the width of both flowerbeds. Why can't I dig those bulbs now that are marked and hang them in a net type hosiery bag in the garage till I can replant them? I figured i would be that much ahead of the game if I could move them now. I plan to put a bright color piece of computer paper or color index card inside the bag for ID purposes. Does this make sense or can I just replant them in other beds now, like a holding bed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: digging daff and tulip bulbs now

That's pretty much what I do with bulbs I'm digging and storing for fall planting. Go for it.

o

I never have done this successfully. When there is still dying foliage on the bulbs, I'm too busy to dig up bulbs and by now, I have no idea where they are. I did dig up some once and split some when I was digging, then didn't get around to replanting all of them and now I couldn't even tell you where there are any extra bulbs growing.

What does it take to do this right? Not my favorite job, but I have good bulbs that I would like to increase but I would rather buy new bulbs than go to this trouble. I do have a small property, maybe if I had a larger one that it would cost me a fortune to buy as many as I needed, I would feel differently?

o

I'm a bit of a gambler with my bulbs.

I had a nice tulip bed, but decided to do something else there. While they were blooming, I used plastic knives that I stuck in the soil with the color (I always forget names).

Then I started working the new bed. I dug and dug and let it rest. Then a couple of weeks later, I dug some more. After a total of six weeks of mess, I recently replanted the bulbs. I used some bonemeal and worked in lots of organic matter.

I covered and mulched. I could not imagine any difference between saving the bulbs for autumn and planting them in deep good soil.

I have confidence that it will work. If it doesn't, then my friendly garden store will welcome my money next year.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here