Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caladium Questions

Posted by mmqchdygg Z5NH (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 9:49

I've recently discovered Caladiums, and after thinking I bought a 'dud' package, they're FINALLY coming up! They're a lovely reddish color, and I've found a few threads on digging them up and over-wintering them. No biggie.

My questions are:

Like Rosy Dawn Gardens specializes in Coleus, is there a nursery that specializes in Caladium? I'm sure I'm hooked!

Will Caladiums take any amount of sun? I have a north-facing bed that I usually dedicate to Coleus, and it gets sun til about noon every day, then is shaded by the house.

Can these be used as houseplants at all? I had an elephant ear in the house for a while, but not sure if Caladiums are related and will tolerate living in the house.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caladium Questions

I can't answer the Caladium Specialty Nursery question but you can likely google that term and perhaps come up with something.

They are partial to full shade plants that like humidity. They do very well as indoor house plants keeping in mind that desire for humidity.

HTH
Holly

Here is a link that might be useful: Botany Com

o

For the last two years, I have ordered from Caladium Bulbs 4 Less. They have a great variety to choose from and their prices are good. The Caladiums are just beautiful. Great customer service, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caladium Bulbs 4 Less

o

Hi Caladium world is a web site for the said bulbs. I think the north side of your house is great. I believe the caladium can take more sun if more water is given. And they will not sprout until soil is stable warm temp. So don't plant early.I usually wait until mine have sprouted in the box I have stored them in I leave them all turned right side up for storage so they will all sprout right side up and not be curved but good straight growth. Maybe sunbulb is also a caladium supplier, you might just try it and see. The strap leaved varieties are also nice.
James Maloy

o

Hello,

Can you please tell me how long it took for yours to come up? It has been 8 weeks since I planted and still nothing! AAAAARRRRRRGGGGG!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here