Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david883_gw

HELP - storing daffodil & grape hyacinth bulbs

david883
11 years ago

I dug up some daffodil and grape hyacinth bulbs a little while back (after all foliage was gone and everything.) I dried them out a little, cleaned them off and put them in some mesh type bags. I put the bags into plastic containers and down in my basement (very cool and dry). I checked on them just now and most of them have begun sprouting roots!!!! AHHHH! Obviously I'm doing something very very wrong here... HELP PLEASE!

Comments (10)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

Are you certain that both the daffs and grape hyacinths are sprouting?

I wonder if they broke dormancy and started to grow because it was so cool in the basement, just as they would be planted in cool soil in the fall.

I've never heard of this happening, but then maybe I've not heard of anyone storing them in such cool temps.

I'd suggest that you bring them out of the coolness, and store them in higher temps...like household temps, or on a covered patio or porch, out of the sun and rain.

Sue

Maybe someone else will have other ideas.

• david883
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes - both have started rooting. The hyacinths much more than the daffodils. I'm thinking my problem was either it was too cool or they shouldn't be in the plastic containers (like big Tupperware boxes). I'll try what you said, Sue, about moving them to somewhere a little warmer.

11 years ago

Actually they would be better off in shallow layers in shallow cardboard boxes...think 'flats', like canned good come in.

Then the flats should not be stacked. Or just hang the mesh bags. Beware, some mesh looking bags are actually plastic bags, cut to look like actual mesh bags. Don't use them if they appear to be plastic.

I use some plastic bins, but they have a grid on the bottom and all 4 sides and have no tops on them. They are in shallow layers in the bins and I turn (stir them up, or flip the bags) every so often. They are on my carport where they get good air and are kept dry.

Good luck!

• david883
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I might just hang the bags then or put them in a few spare cardboard flats I have from nurseries earlier in the season. I'll keep them either in an spare closet inside or maybe the garage... we'll see.

THanks again for all your help and advise!

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Yes, they definitely shouldn't be in sealed plastic containers, it traps moisture, which is the reason they started growing roots. Grape hyacinth, it's probably natural for them anyway to grow now, since they grow fall foliage that starts to sprout in late August as long as the weather is moist enough.

Why not just plant them now?

11 years ago

Why not just plant them now?
    I don't think planting them in such warm soil would be a good idea since the roots have sprouted. I'd be afraid they would rot, and that it would be safer to wait until proper planting time to plant them.

• david883
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I dug them up to save them until fall planting. I'm going to take them out of the plastic containers. Should I clip the roots off or....? Have I forced some early growing now?

11 years ago

Should I clip the roots off or....?
    I would just let them wither away.

Have I forced some early growing now?
    It's hard to tell, but I doubt if next spring's bloom has been compromised.

Sue

• Carrie B
    11 years ago

I need to disagree here & say that I think the absolutely best course of action would be to get them in the grounds, outside, ASAP.

• goren
    11 years ago

One ideal spot would be your refrigerator's crisper...but since you undoubtedly use that for food, that idea doesn't hold water.
    Putting them, as suggested, on a shallow tray, on a shelf in the basement where its coolest and driest. Don't be tempted to water them; just let them be, cool, dry and without light.

Next time you want to bag up a bulb, use paper and leave the top open. Paper breathes---plastic doesn't.

A dusting with a fungicide will keep mildew and mold away from them until you decide to plant them in the cool fall.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012