Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you keep them all straight! Need some help

Posted by cmw21 z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 12:38

I am a first time home buyer and have been working on our landscaping.

We are in SWPA, z6 borderline 5.

I am so confused by all the different information regarding bulbs. Is there a rule of thumb on which one can stand the winter, which ones are planted in the fall and which ones need to be dug up?

Here is what I currently have. Glads (no idea the variety, they came free with my lillies), Stargazer lillies and asiatic lillies. Can they make the winter or do I need to dig them up? I would like to add some tulips and daffodils to my garden. These are planted in the fall, right? So, once they are planted, I'm good to go?

My neighbor is also having me dig up some of her iris this fall. Should I store them for the winter or can i put them right into the ground?

Sorry for all the questions! I appreciate all your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you keep them all straight! Need some help

The only thing that you will need to dig up is the glads unless they are the winter hardy ones. I'm in zone 5 between a and b. Put the iris in the ground so they can work on setting down roots for next year. Yes, tulips and daffodils are planted in the fall.

o

If you know the latin names of your bulbs (these should be on the packages), you can Google them and find out their winter hardiness zones very easily. It's not a bad idea to mark your bulbs with their names somehow so that you can find them to lift, divide, and spread the wealth later on. I like to use pieces of old vinyl window blinds that I write on with a Sharpie. If you put the ink side under the ground, the sun will not fade it. Leave just enough of the slat above ground that you can find them easily.

o

As Mori said, the only bulbs/corms you need to dig up and store indoors this fall are glads. Everything else including Iris can stay in the ground over winter.

Don't worry too much.
Have fun.
:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here