Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curleyg

Mini-Glads

curleyg
14 years ago

Advise please. I planted 45 Mini-Glads this spring. All grew nicely (foliage). Only ten bloomed. No flower stalks on the rest. What can I feed these this fall to get a better result next year?

Thanks

Comments (5)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

Have you ever had a soil analysis done? The reason I ask is because that's how you know what to feed your bulbs (if anything). In our soil we have extremely high amounts of Phospherous. Many bloom boosters or bulb fertilizers are very high in Phospherous. Adding more Phospherous to our soil would not only be pointless but too much Phospherous will diminish or cease bloom altogether. I wouldn't have known all that if I hadn't had a soil analysis done by my county ag agent years ago. I suggest you try that before adding any fertilizer. There are many reasons that a Glad won't bloom, and insufficient fertilizer usually isn't the main problem.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

I planted 45 Mini-Glads this spring.
    Were the bulbs all the same size? Were they purchased or given to you? Bulb size plays a large part in whether or not they bloom as well as other things.

Are those hardy in your zone, or will they need to be lifted and stored inside this winter?

Possibly they did not bloom due to the foliage not being left in place at least 4-6 weeks after they bloomed last year.

Sue

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

If they are regular glads then you may still get a few more blooms this year (if they are still actively growing). If you don't then take a look at the bulbs this fall when you dig them up. If they have grown bigger than the ones you planted there's a good chance they will bloom next year and it was just because the bulbs you recieved were too small to bloom.

• curleyg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll try to answer all. First I got them from an on-line nursery, I think Spring hill. They were all pretty much the same size, although I do have different size development of foliage. They are mini-glads. The flower stalks don't exceed 36 inches.
    Supposedly here in zone 7. they can stay in the ground if mulched well.
    I have not had a soil test done. Roses, Stella d'oros and other day lilies do well in this garden. I will look into the soil test.
    Thanks for the help, and all other suggestions are welcome.

By the way can anyone suggest why the replies are not being sent to my email, even though they say they will be. Scratch that, I need to check my servers junk file.
    George

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

By the way can anyone suggest why the replies are not being sent to my email, even though they say they will be. Scratch that, I need to check my servers junk file.
    The follow-up replies arriving in email has been pretty iffy for quite some time. I never heard if it has ever been fixed. I just notice every so often someone mentioning it.

Sue