Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cheapest reliable mailorder bulbs?

Posted by sunandshadow 6 PA (sunandshadow@excite.com) on
Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 13:09

I want to order some relatively ordinary bulbs for fall - daffodils, crocuses, dutch iris (well rhizomes for that one). I'm starting to get catalogs, but I've only gotten two so far which seemed to have reasonable prices, and both of those had bad reviews when I looked them up online. So where would you all recommend ordering from?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cheapest reliable mailorder bulbs?

I got some from willowcreekgardens.com and they seemed reasonable (quality - yet to be seen after a season), also twomblynursery.com (bought a couple of years ago) whose bulbs were nice-sized and well-priced;
Would like to try http://www.vanengelen.com/pejtest/SALEHTML.HTM, whose ratings on Dave's gardens are good - maybe I will try next year.

o

I have used Van Engelen/John Scheepers for several years and always receive high quality bulbs/roots and excellent service.

I purchase in large quantities for local fund raising events and have many repeat customers each year.
Have already placed orders with them for fall delivery.

o

I want to order some relatively ordinary bulbs for fall - daffodils, crocuses, dutch iris
If you are just wanting some relatively ordinary things, why not just pick them up at some Big Box stores...Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. Often they have some different choices and it would save you on shipping.

btw...dutch irises are grown from bulbs.

Bearded irises, which should be planted well before fall sets in so they have a change to get rooted in, are grown from rhizomes.

Sue

o

Thank you for the recommendations. ^_^

For the big box stores, I bought from them last year so I was expecting that this year they wouldn't have anything different, and I didn't want to get the same things again.

o

In the spring, Costco sells bags of bulbs. They have a huge selection, prices are at least reasonable, and the ones that I bought were good quality.

The only really cheap bulbs I've ever seen are the mesh bags of 100 King Alfreds. Good price if you need lots of King Alfreds.

Try running an ad on Craigslist. I got some really nice iris by running a "wanted" ad, and by offering to thin iris beds for free if I could have the rhizomes that I removed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here