Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulb ID (pictures)

Posted by eftm 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 30, 11 at 13:44

I need help identifying some bulbs I have & would like to know if anyone has any tips on how to make them grow again.
My dad went to california and brought back some bulbs. I asked him what they were, but he didn't know. I ignored them and left them on top of the ground next to some plants & leaves started to come out. When I put them underground they grew a few more leaves but then they started to turn yellow I thought maybe I was over watering them so I stopped but they continued to die. I took them back out and left them above ground but the leaves never grew back. :/
I think they might be leucojum (snowflake bulbs) but im not too sure. what do you all think??
here are some pictures.

with leaves
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The bulbs were a light brown color but I peeled off the outer layers because it had bugs and dirt. I dont know if I should have done that. lol
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulb ID (pictures)

Amaryllis Belladona?

o

I agree Amaryllis Belladona. They grow foliage during the winter(here in the mild California winter), then go dormant when the weather warms. In August they send up flower stalks with no foliage. When they have been moved they may take several years to bloom, or may never bloom if not planted in enough sun. Al

o

Looks like one of the Nerines. Maybe sardiniensis.

Plant it into soil that drains well. Plant them so their necks are out of the ground. At a pinch you can even rest them on the surface and cover the roots with soil leaving most of the bulb bare above the ground. They're moderately frost-hardy (-5C) Get them back in the ground as quickly as possible. They're more like lilies than daffodils in that respect.

Most of them grow their leaves over the winter - so that's when you water if the rain is not enough. If your version of zone 9 is 'mediterranean' (dry-bake summer and then winter rain) they'll do well. Full sun is preferred, otherwise they'll produce lots of leaves and not much else.

Don't water over summer. Let them be hot and dry. Then, once they've settled in (and they're sure you aren't going to move them for four or five years at least) they'll think about flowering. Expect single stalks that can be up to an inch thick with buds like a spear tip on the top.

When they've finished flowering nothing happens for weeks. Then the leaves emerge. Like Colchicum (if you grow that).

They do like a potash feed. Wood ash will do fine while they're in leaf.

It's probably better to remove the old leaves when they've reached the limp, yellow-brown, and a bit slimy stage. They pull off in handfuls.

The clumps can get to be quite wide (2-3 feet). They're good company for tough species roses, or dentata lavenders, maybe also Cistus and Pelargonium, though you'd have to choose your colours to avoid a clash :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here