Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerome69_gw

grape hyacinths

jerome69
14 years ago

collected the seeds from some grape hyacinths.(small black round seeds). is there any preperation like putting them throught a cold cycle before planting them?

Comments (5)

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

I'm wondering if they might need a dry season before breaking dormancy in autumn with the early rains and then growing on over the winter in the usual way of most Muscari. Sow now and expect sprouts in the cooler days.

Definitely excellent drainage. Perhaps some sun shelter depending on the species.

I've noticed that some seedling bulbs grow on through a 'usually dormant' season - probably to get enough size before taking the risk of dormancy with such a small bulb mass. So you might need to factor that in.

• duluthinbloomz4
    14 years ago

In zone 6, I don't think any additional prep is necessary. In fact, had you not collected the seeds, they would have fallen naturally around the parent plant, worked their way into the soil and produced new little bulbs all on their own increasing your stock. I let mine reseed as they will and find them coming up in unexpected places.

But, I'm no expert - just an observer of what goes on in my own (zone 4, however) gardens.

• jerome69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

To duluthinbloomz4; do you think if i place 6 or so seeds in pots they will produce small bulbs over the winter?i can take them inside to my basement green house for the real cold months.

• duluthinbloomz4
    14 years ago

You could try it. I've never grown them in pots simply because they're perfectly hardy in zones 3-9 and do so well out in the garden on their own. And we get sustained periods of -30 degree temps and windchills down to -50. They don't need to be brought in over the winter months; especially if those you put in pots are buried up to the rim in your garden (easy to keep track of the container and to see exactly what the germination rate is) as opposed to leaving them in an exposed pot on a patio, etc.

Be worth an experiment if you have a good supply of seeds -Sow some directly and sow some in pots; bury some pots and bring a pot in to your greenhouse. See what you get.

The beauty of these little bulbs is that they're inexpensive and available anywhere plants are sold. I, for one, wouldn't buy these from any other source than one of the big boxes. I know there are people out there who believe the only good bulb is a bulb you order from a catalog, but I don't happen to be one of them. Just a personal preference; nothing against mail order.

• jerome69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

to deluthinbloomz4; i will try it.i usually do bury my young plants in my veg. garden over winter with good results.(buf. n.y.)