Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spring blooming bulb foliage: inconspicuous or quick bying ones?

Posted by arylkin 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 14:35

*The title should say quick dying. I'm apparently a terrible proofreader.

We moved into our new house at the end of March. The previous owners had planted a daffodil patch and some sort of tall tulips. I've since made that garden into a perennial bed, but now I'm thinking towards fall and planting spring bulbs.

I'm going to be planting in between my perennials, and am looking for bulbs with small or inconspicuous foliage.

Whatever tulips are here are some sort of giant ones, 2.5 feet high maybe and the leaves are roughly 18 inches long. I don't have much experience with bulbs, so I wondered if there were tulips with easier to hide foliage?

What about crocus and snowdrop? Is their foliage easily hidden? I want to have nice spring blooms, but I also don't want to have the garden full of messy foliage for ages.

Thank you!

This post was edited by arylkin on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 14:36

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spring blooming bulb foliage: inconspicuous or quick bying on

I'd look at Crocus and Chionodoxa, plus Anemone coronaria, if you have somewhere to raise them over winter.

Some of the Galanthus are nice and the leaves aren't hugely conspicuous as they fade away. (A touch of hope in the middle of winter. My earlies are out just now.)

If you have a semi shady spot you might also consider Anemone blanda which spreads by seeding, not bulb increase, and Anemone nemorosa.

Some of the miniature daffodils, such as Hawera and Snipe, can fill a useful place and decently die down as the perennials are coming into leaf or flower.

Iris reticulata has a long flowering season for me and although the leaves are long, they're not problematic.

Might not fit in your zone - beware Narcissus Earlicheer and the paperwhites: first into leaf and last to go.

Not quite a bulb - yet very useful for a sun-baked and poor soil area - Iris unguicularis. Only trouble is - the slugs are also out and looking for feasts in the middle of winter. But the flowers are delightfully scented and a lovely blue-purple.

If they're hardy for you - Cyclamen coum planted in drifts under maples or fruit trees - deciduous trees can be delightful in autumn and into early winter.

o
RE: spring blooming bulb foliage: inconspicuous or quick bying on

Thank you so much for all your help!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here