Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taigen_gw

crocosmia questions

taigen_gw
14 years ago

Hi I am new to this area of GW and hope you can help me with some information. I just purchased a plant called a crocosmia "lucifer" and it is really lovely. I am trying to learn about how I should winter it over or if it will winter over in the yard?

I am in the Maritimes, Canada I believe a zone 5b. can anyone tell me how to care for this plant.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments (5)

• holly_bc
    14 years ago

Crocosmia are rated to Zone 5 so theoretically could stay in ground for the winter. I'd be inclined to plant them fairly deep then mulch for winter of 3-4" of straw, bagged leaves or similar just to be assured the bulbs don't freeze. Alternatively you could plant them in pots ( larger than the nursery pot you purchased them in) then lift the pot(s) in late fall and overwinter indoors in a cool location. You would need to keep them slightly moist but not wet until spring so the bulbs don't dry up.

Mobot (Missouri Botanical Gardens) basically says the same thing and they are in a similar zone to yours. If you google Crocosmia Lucifer you will find lots of info.

Mine stay inground year round but our coldest winter temps thus far have been -12 or so, thus a little warmer than you may experience.

HTH
    Holly

Here is a link that might be useful: Mobot

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

I have planted different crocosmias 2 different times here in zone 5b/6a, and have never had them survive the first winter. I didn't however plant them extra deep or mulch them much other than maybe an inch of shredded bark mulch

Sue...chemocurl

• leslie197
    14 years ago

My Lucifers lasted 2 seasons. They showed some increase in season two which surprised and pleased me. Unfortunately nothing returned in season three. Very disappointing.

• taigen_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm..sounds like this may not be a long term plant in this neck of the woods. Our winters can go in the -30C + here. They are planted directly in the ground now but I think I may dig them up in Sept or so. They really are quite lovely and I would like to try and keep them. If they survive in the house I will be putting them in a larger pot next year.
    Thanks so much for the info.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

You can probably leave them in the ground year-round in Can.zone 5b. That is the same zone I am in. (Guelph, Southern Ontario) I have had Lucifer for over 5 years in the ground here. For some reason, some of my plants (i.e.corms) died last winter, some, but not all of them. Since you are planting them in mid-summer, rather than in the spring, I would advise lifting them this winter. However, to save extra work, I would leave them in the ground in future years. Lucifer are relatively easy to obtain and not expensive, so it is worth taking a a chance on them. At least, that's my opinion, and what I intend to do. I will buy a few more corms next spring to replace those of mine that died last winter.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH