Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advise on tulips, daffodils , and iris

Posted by maisaigon25 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 16:08

Hi I dug some tulips daffodils and dutch iris (iris never flowered). And after awile(like 3 or 4 weeks) I put them in the fridge. I cut open a small tulip bulb and saw a tiny small bud. Advise please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advise on tulips, daffodils , and iris

That's usual for bulbs. By the time they close down for summer they've stored the food they need to see out the hot'n'dry AND formed next year's flower.

Depending on where you live - you don't necessarily need to fridge your bulbs. Just storing them in a cool, dry environment, protected from foraging mousies and other hungry creatures, is often enough.

Unless you get deep frost at your place - your daffs and Dutch Iris can do better left in the ground for about three years or so (or until they become crowded and stop flowering as much.)

My neighbour has her Dutch Iris in the front yard where they live under an old deciduous magnolia. They get full sun for much of the day and flower reliably each year. Mine don't get as much sun and can be skittish about flowering. If you feed them - they tend to produce lots of leaves and few flowers.

That said - if you planted those bulbs late last bulb-planting season they may have been a bit 'rubbery' - in which case they will take two, maybe three years, to regain vigour. No fridging.

o

What is your climate zone? Cannot correctly advise without this information.

Tulips and daffodils are hardy. Dutch iris are less so ~ maybe to USDA zone 5?

If you chill tulips there must not be fruit in the refrigerator (ethylene gas will kill the bud). All bulbs use low nitrogen fertilizer.

o

I am in zone 8

o

Hi Maisaigon!

In zone 8 leave the daffodils and Dutch iris bulbs in the ground. If your tulips are Darwin type they may come back every year if left in the ground. I'm too lazy to dig & refrigerate tulips but they would like it if I did. If they are not Darwin type they may produce foliage and very little bloom the 2nd year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here