Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Giant Crinums

Posted by gardensnail22 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 31, 09 at 16:11

I need to know how to transplant two giant crinum lillies I got yesterday. They are bare root, Do I cut the leaves, Should they go in ground or can they go in pot?? Which is better?? I live in Louisian, very hot and humid. HELP ASAP Jane They are 6 to 8' tall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Giant Crinums

They'll survive the winter better if you plant them in the ground (I'm assuming from the height that they're C. asiaticum, procerum, or one of the larger species/hybrids, most of which are a little on the tender side in zone 8), but for now, they can be potted, as well. Whichever you choose, you can cut back the foliage (but not into the "trunk", if it's one of those varieties) in order to keep the plant from being top heavy. Some of it may brown off naturally, depending on how many roots were lost in the transplanting. Make sure to keep the plants watered heavily right now - if they're potted, it won't hurt them at all to stand in a tub of water, as long as it's warm outside. Just be careful not to start a mosquito farm - I sometimes use plastic barrel liners with holes drilled halfway up the side (and not in the bottom) for potting these, since that method assures constant water at the roots, but doesn't leave exposed, standing water.

o
RE: Do As I Say, Not As I Did

Do what works best for you;
crinums are amazingly hardy & persistant.

I've had several bloom in the poor little flowerpots I'd put them in "temporarily".

& I once cleaned out a flower bed & laid a few crinums beneath a big spirea...& forgot them.

All winter they lay there, all spring.

When summer rolled around, I finally "remembered" them when big pink flowers emerged from beneath the spirea!

o
RE: Transplanting Giant Crinums

could one of u ladies supply me with the info as to where i could get me a couple of the c. asiaticum lilies. i didn't know they grew that tall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here