Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gladiolus bulb moving

Posted by ken-n.ga.mts (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 17:07

I just bought this home in NE GA (Cornelia) last September. The previous owner past away a couple of years ago. Due to legal maters the house set for three years. There is a large bulb garden planted around a large sycamore tree in the front yard. total neglet for 3+ yrs. Spent last fall cleaning up the yard and the bulb garden. This spring the bulbs started popping up. Almost everything was in a spacific area. Looked great. Then the glads started to pop up, EVERYWHERE. Most where I would like, but there are a bunch scattered all over the garden. My question is, now that they are finished blooming, can I cut the foliage, dig up the corns and move the wayward ones to a central location where they can put on a great show next year. They are all the same color so a mass planting would look great. I have no idea how they got scattered like they did. I just don't want to hurt the bulbs if I dig them up during the next couple of weeks. I always had glads in SE FL, but they were where I wanted them. Never had to move them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gladiolus bulb moving

When the leaves fall over they should be ready to dig and dry out, but I wouldn't think you want to dig them while your weather is still hot. The leaves are what puts the energy back into the corms. They probably will stand the move IF you take care.

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 20:05

Ditto on what Wally said. Glads are like Dafs, Tulips etc. The leaves feed the corms. Here's my take on it. Caveat however: This is simply from experience in my zone 7 garden where Glads for the most part are perennial, others mileage may vary. The corms that will bloom next year are ones formed this year as offsets of the original corm (which withers away after blooming). If you dig them in the fall and store them you will have the problem of maintaining the right conditions for them until next spring. If you leave them in the ground and they over winter for you, then you can simply dig them up when they first show a hint of green in the spring and transplant them to the area you desire. Hope this helps.

o

I need to move my glads this month, 'cause my neighbors are putting up a fence in preparation for the arrival of their first child, and once the fence is up, I won't be able to get at the glads. If I can't wait for the leaves to die back, any advice about how to move them without killing them?

o

If you have to move them, and you have soil with enough clay to hold it together, you should be able to move them with enough of the soil that they will continue the regular seasonal decline. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here