Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you grown any of these specialty Tulip varieties? Pics, plz

Posted by nattydoll 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 17:15

Have any of you grown any of these funky bulbs, esp in the NY metro area?

Queensland Tulips

Ice Age Tulips

Angelique Tulips

Cotinga Daffodils

Shrike Daffodils

I was searching for places to buy Peony Tulips - the mature plant, not the bulb, then stumbled upon a site called Brecks that ships them from the Netherlands. The above varieties caught my eye, but unfortunately they just sell the bulbs. And they send so many in a pack, it's more than I need.

I'm considering buying one or two types, but wonder what others' results were.

If planted in fall, would tulips generally flower the next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you grown any of these specialty Tulip varieties? Pics,

You can get tulips in bloom in spring, but I have never seen them sold by specific variety.

The best bet is planting them yourselves in the fall. If the condition is right, you will get your blooms in the spring.

I prefer bulbs from Brent and Becky's bulbs or John Scheepers. They are more reliable than Brecks.

http://www.johnscheepers.com/flower-bulbs-index/tulips/peony-flowering/tulip-angelique.html

https://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/productview/?sku=02-1015

You can as few as 5 bulbs from Brent & Becky's, 10 from John Scheepers.

o

If you want potted tulips in bloom contact a full service florist and find out what the industry supplies and in what seasons. This is a use until the flowers fail and then discard product. Those forced bulbs are said to be next to impossible to get to rebloom. While you're at it, if you really want to buy specific types blooming in pots, ask the florist if they know any greenhouse or nursery who will force custom types of tulips for a fee. That would be a specialty service that may be difficult to locate. Or force them yourself, which may end up being a pretty daunting task for a novice, although a whole lot of folks do just that regularly.

o

Have you looked at tulipworld? They have a few variety packs, some of them w/ specialty bulbs. Worth taking a peak. They have very low shipping - $3.95 no matter how large your order.

o

Thanks for all the tips, everybody =) I'll look into those stores.

Have you tried any of those? Or any specialty favorites?

They look like nothing I've seen in person, so I hope that the conditions here are alright.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here