Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hybridizing Zephyranthes Rain Lilies?

Posted by KatsLilies 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 17:19

Wondering if anyone has experience hybridizing rain lilies? Can primulina & citrina be used as base mother plants? I did a few crosses last year & have a few seedlings growing. The bulbs aren't big enough yet to know what their blooms will look like but wanted to know if I'll get plants that look like the mother or can I actually get some results by adding pollen from Rose Perfection/Pink Beauty/Batik/Prairie Sunset? Any pointers would be appreciated. Including a picture of some bloomers. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hybridizing Zephyranthes Rain Lilies?

Very pretty! I don't know about primulina, but citrina is parthenogenic, that is, regardless of what pollen you put on it, the offspring will be like citrina. However, I believe crossing the other direction and putting citrina pollen on a pink should produce a newly colored hybrid.

So far, I've been selfing my varieties, but I've got a pink that won't self that I am considering pollinating with something else to see if anything takes.

o
RE: hybridizing Zephyranthes Rain Lilies?

Thanks. Hopefully by next year I'll see some blooms on bulbs I tried to cross.

Here is a bloom from seeds I collected & grew out from Pink Panther. It took 3 years.

This post was edited by KatsLilies on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 14:10

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here