Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs that don't need full sun??

Posted by julianne75 MA Z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 08 at 17:35

Are there any bulbs that are partial sun to shade.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs that don't need full sun??

There are several bulbs which use the 'deciduous' cycle - when trees are bare, they're up and blooming. When the trees are in leaf, they become dormant.

For those that flower in more shaded conditions - bluebells (Hyacinthoides) and Cyclamen (hardy), Oxalis acetosella, some of the fritillaries, Galanthus and, stretching a point because they're not actually bulbs, various Arisaema, Anemone nemorosa.

Think 'dappled' more than deep gloom.

Bound to be lots more but that's a start. ;-).

o

• Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Milwaukee WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 08 at 9:40

I just ordered some Seagull daffodils from Old House Gardens and the website reads that they should be protected from full sun for best color. Zone 5-7.

o

Are you considering spring flowering bulbs (daffs, tulips, hyacinths, etc) or summer blooming things like lilies?

The spring blooming ones do just fine for me in the woods. There are no leaves on when they are emerging and during the bloom cycle. I do think however that they would not do well in permanent shade, like say, in the shade of a building.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here