Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyhi

freesia

judyhi
10 years ago

I am relatively new to gardening. I picked up some freesia plants the other day from a local grower. I did not know anything about them other than they were pretty and smelled good. My question is What do I do with them in this zone 6 if I want to have them grow again next season? Do I remove foliage at summer's end and store in peat and repot in winter my basement and then plant outside in the spring?

TIA for your responses!

Judy

Comments (2)

• vetivert8
    10 years ago

If you have them in pots - remove the yellow leaves and leave them in the pot over the summer. It's ok if they get rained on in the course of the summer. It's better that they don't stay damp. though.

Repot sometime in November and December using a free-draining mix.

When the leaves show through put them into good and direct light for all the day. Water prudently and don't let them 'stand' in water.

They produce their leaves over winter to be ready for spring flowering.

When you put them out to harden off in spring give them some rain shelter as spring deluges can spoil the flowers. Once hardened off they will take some frost. (About four degrees. Protect the flowers, though.)

You can give them foliar spray up to when the buds are starting to show colour. Stop at that point. You can also feed after flowering; perhaps with half strength tomato food.

If you know your variety is a tall grower, put in your support system when you plant them up. They'll do better when they have stem support.

• judyhi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond! I now know I was over watering them. I will follow your advice.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz