Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange flower bulb? Perennial? Please help ID

Posted by mangomoon CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 11 at 17:39

My neighbor has several of these growing in her yard. They are pretty and I would like to know what the plant is called and if it is a perennial? It looks like it grows from a bulb, but I cannot tell. The stalks are almost 4 ft in height.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange flower bulb? Perennial? Please help ID

Crocosmia aka Montbretia. It is invasive in certain climates so check before you introduce it to your garden and be prepared to watch it carefully. It has taken over large tracts of land in the coastal UK.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crocosmia

o

In California too. I had to dig up a whole planting bed and strain all the soil through 1/2 inch hardware cloth to get the little root nodules out of the soil before I could replant the bed. Even that did not get them all. Al

o

More like 'eternal' than 'perennial' when they're happy. They spread by seed or sharply-pointed runners which will easily go through the bulbs of other more-preferred species. And their older bulbs can go down 12" or more, like a string of beads.

Do brilliantly in a sandy/silty soil. Don't mind shade but you'll get more leaves than flowers.

Calistoga is not kidding. They're delightful - in someone else's garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here