Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandhill_farms

Looking For A Particular Bulb - Help

sandhill_farms
13 years ago

Greetings, this is my first post here. I know someone who is looking for "Hesperocallis Undulata" bulbs. I'd like to help him out but I have no idea what this plant is. Can someone shed some light on this for me. Thank You!

Comments (16)

• winnjoe
    13 years ago

lots on Google but I liked this photo:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hesperocallis undulata

• carol23_gw
    13 years ago

Looks like seeds are the only option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants of the Southwest

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You winnjoe and carol123, and Thank You carol for the link, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Greg
    Nevada

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I did a little reading and I guess this plant, Desert Lily, starts-out from a seed then in a year or so forms a bulb. It's the bulb the person I know is looking for, not the seeds.

Do any of you more knowledgeable people have any clues as to where I should look for these bulbs? Thanks for all your help.

Greg
    Nevada

BTW...This person I know lives in the Netherlands, not that it makes any difference.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Is it Ton looking for the plant?

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes it is...

Greg
    Nevada

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I'm looking for it for him as well, I just bought some seeds and sent him some of them, I have no clue where this plant can be bought! I've looked everywhere and I myself would love to have one too!

• jewel106
    13 years ago

it is far easier to send seeds than bulbs across the pond.also, as far as i know, this species is not commercially propagated and any available seed is probably collected from wild plants. this species is highly endangered and under no circumstances should wild plants be poached.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

A few folks over on the California forum stated that it is very difficult to keep the bulbs alive, and although the seeds sprout, they go dormant after a few months and never come out of it. It sounds like it might be necessary to recreate the conditions where it grows.
    Renee

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Jewel, do you have a link that it's endangered? If it's endangered it will be on CITES and we wouldn't be able to ship at all?

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you have a link to that discussion on the California Forum. Thanks!

Greg
    Nevada

• jewel106
    13 years ago

this species is not yet officially evaluated by IUCN, but each state ( California, Nevada, and Arizona) have their own conservation measures and endangered status in place so it may be in your best interest to check with officials of these states governments if you are at all worried. I'm quite curious as to what ton is doing with all these different species.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Here ya go, Greg.
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: CA Forum discussion

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Jewel,

He's a collector like a lot of us are, what else would he be doing with them?

Also, I checked and it's supposedly abundantly found in a few states so I don't think there is a problem of endangerment!

Josh

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Joshy - I researched it some more and I never saw where it was mentioned that it was an endangered or proctected species. I happen to live where it grows although I've never seen it, but then I was never looking for it.

Greg
    Nevada

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Renee.

Greg
    Nevada